Android 4.3, Jelly Bean
Android 4.3, an even sweeter Jelly Bean, is available now on Nexus phones and tablets.
Restricted profiles limit access to apps and content, at home with your family and at work. Bluetooth Smart support makes Android ready for a whole new class of mobile apps that connect to fitness sensors. Games look great thanks to the 3D realistic, high performance graphics powered by OpenGL ES 3.0.
And there's a lot more new in this release:
- Virtual surround sound - enjoy movies from Google Play with surround sound on
Nexus 7 (2013 edition) and other Nexus
Surround sound is powered by Fraunhofer Cingo™ mobile audio technology.
- Autocomplete - just start touching numbers or letters and the dial pad will suggest
phone numbers or names. To turn on this feature, open your phone app settings and
enable “Dial pad autocomplete.”
- OpenGL ES 3.0 - Android now supports the latest version of the industry standard for high performance graphics.
- Wireless Display for Nexus 7 (2013 edition) and Nexus 10 - project from your tablet to a TV.
Internationalization and localization
- Additional language support - Android is now translated in Africaans, Amharic (አማርኛ), Hindi (हिंदी), Swahili (Kiswahili), and Zulu (IsiZulu).
- Hebrew, Arabic, and other RTL (right-to-left) - now supported in the home screen, settings, and Phone, People, and Keep apps.
Keyboard & input
- Easier text input - an improved algorithm for tap-typing recognition makes text input easier.
- Lower latency input for gamepad buttons and joysticks.
- Location detection through Wi-Fi - use Wi-Fi to detect location without turning on Wi-Fi all the time.
- Bluetooth Smart support (a.k.a. Bluetooth Low-Energy) - devices like Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (2013 edition) are now Bluetooth Smart Ready.
- Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 support - display song names on a car stereo.
- Disabled apps tab - check which apps are disabled in Settings > Apps.
- Restricted profiles - put your tablet into a mode with limited access to apps and content.
- Setup wizard simplification - getting started on Android is easier thanks to the ability to correct previous input, and because of streamlined user agreements.
- Faster user switching - switching users from the lock screen is now faster.
- Enhanced photo daydream - navigate through interesting albums.